Every RV’s most common concern is how to make the most of their limited space, from the sleeping area to RV storage. This is where RV’s with bunk beds come in handy, especially if you have kids traveling with you.
Throughout the years that we lived in our RV, RV bunk beds were the best solution for accommodating our kids in a limited space. Living in a motorhome full-time with 4 kids isn’t easy, so maximizing every inch of our RV is essential. We love our Class C Family RV because it has bunk beds that can sleep our four children comfortably!
If you want to know more about our Class C RV with bunk beds or even know more about RV’s with bunk beds in general, then keep reading!
RV’s with Bunk Beds FAQ
Several campers already come with bunk beds. In our case, our Class C RV had bunk beds but you can also find a Class A RV with bunk beds. Yet, you can also find towable campers such as Fifth Wheels with bunk beds too. Some of the best RVs for full time living are those with extra sleeping space such as bunk beds.
Yes, some owners have their RV remodeled to fit their needs, and bunk beds are one of the most popular added features. As long as you have enough vertical space, then there’s no problem adding bunk beds to your camper remodel.
The most common size in RV bunk beds is 28 inches by 75 inches up to 30 inches by 80 inches. Those are the standard sizes for bunk beds in an RV, but some manufacturers may have different sizes as well.
Yes, there are. Although most RV’s with bunk beds are designed for kids or teens, some manufacturers offer options for adult-sized bunk beds. These can be found in Class A and Class C motorhomes.
Benefits of RV Bunk Beds
- Space-saving – instead of having separate sleeping areas for your kids, you only need one area for the bunk beds. This means more space for other necessities or activities inside the RV.
- Cost-effective – purchasing a bunk bed for camper is far more cost-effective compared to buying a larger RV or adding another sleeping area.
- Kid-friendly – kids love bunk beds! It adds an element of fun and adventure to their RV experience. It also encourages them to bond and share a space.
- Multipurpose – bunk beds can be used not only for sleeping but also as storage or seating. Some models have built-in drawers, while others can convert into a sofa during the day.
- Flexibility – if you have guests or extra family members joining your trip, bunk beds provide extra sleeping space without sacrificing comfort or privacy.
Related blog: 23 Honest Answers About Living In An RV Full Time
6 RV Bunk Beds Ideas for Camper
Whether you have or don’t have built-in bunk beds in your RV or camper, here are some RV with bunk bed ideas you can add to your camper, whether temporarily or a permanent addition.
1. Crib Design Bunk Beds
That sounds like a funny design for an RV bunk bed, right? But this design is perfect for families with young kids. The top bunk can be smaller in size, similar to a crib, and it has built-in safety rails to keep your child safe while sleeping. The bottom bunk can be converted into a seating area during the day.
Although this isn’t commonly made in one piece, this style is custom-made by some RV owners, making it a unique and fun addition to your camper. If you ask me, the flaw of this design is that your child may outgrow the top bunk quickly, but it’s perfect for toddlers and young children.
2. Bunk Beds with Built-in Storage
As mentioned earlier, some bunk bed models come with built-in drawers or cabinets. This is perfect for storing clothes and other essentials, especially if your RV has limited storage space. It also eliminates the need for extra furniture, making your camper feel more spacious.
Everyone loves this design, not just for its functionality but also for its convenience in organizing your belongings or turning them into your RV closet storage. Plus, it’s a great space-saving solution for small RVs.
3. Foldable Bunk Bed Design
Have you ever seen one before? You’ll be surprised that you can purchase a foldable bunk bed specifically designed for campers. Best part? It’s on Amazon!
This Liftco Folding Bunk Bed for Cargo Trailer is the perfect cheap solution for those who are looking to temporarily add bunk beds in their RV.
It’s lightweight, easy to set up, and can be easily stored when not in use. This is a must-have for families with kids or large groups traveling together.
It’s completely foldable, so it wouldn’t take up much space in your camper. And when it’s not in use, you can easily fold in your RV wall or ceiling. It’s a fantastic space-saving option that will surely come in handy during your camping trips.
4. Loft Style Bunk Beds
Last but not least, the loft-style bunk beds are perfect for those who want to maximize vertical space in their RV. This design offers a raised platform where the bottom bunk is placed, leaving enough space for storage or a desk underneath. It’s a great option for families with older children who need their own space or for solo travelers looking to have a cozy sleeping area and workspace all in one.
You can find loft-style bunk beds in various designs and sizes, making them easy to fit into any type of RV. So if you’re looking for an innovative and efficient way to utilize space in your RV, consider investing in a loft style bunk bed.
5. Hammock Bunk Beds
For the more adventurous RVers, hammock bunk beds offer a unique and fun sleeping experience. These bunk beds are suspended by ropes or straps and can be easily set up inside your RV or outside. It’s a great way to save space while also adding an element of excitement to your camping trip.
However, hammock bunk beds may not be suitable for everyone, especially those who have trouble sleeping in a swaying motion. It’s important to consider your comfort level before opting for this type of bunk bed.
6. Stackable Bunk Beds
If you have a large family or often travel with friends, stackable bunk beds are a great option. These bunk beds can be easily stacked on top of each other when not in use, saving valuable floor space. When needed, they can be separated into individual beds for a comfortable and restful night’s sleep.
There are even stackable bunk bed designs that come with built-in storage compartments for added convenience. This is a great feature for keeping personal belongings organized and easily accessible while on the road.
7. DIY Bunk Bed Ideas
For the creative and handy RVers, DIY bunk bed ideas are a great way to customize your sleeping arrangements. From repurposing furniture to building your sturdy beds from scratch, there are endless possibilities for creating unique and functional bunk beds in your RV.
Not only is this a cost-effective option, but it also allows you to design bunk beds that fit perfectly in your RV and cater to your specific needs. Just be sure to use high-quality materials and follow safety guidelines when constructing DIY bunk beds.
Additional Tips for Choosing the Right Bunk Bed
- Consider the weight capacity of the bunk bed, especially if you have larger individuals or multiple people sharing a bed.
- Look for bunk beds that come with safety features such as guardrails and sturdy ladders.
- Measure the available space in your RV to ensure that the bunk bed will fit comfortably without compromising on living or storage areas.
- Don’t forget to consider the overall aesthetic of your RV when choosing a bunk bed design. You want it to blend in seamlessly with the rest of your interior.
- When traveling with children, opt for bunk beds with fun and playful designs to make bedtime more exciting for them.
- Consider investing in a high-quality RV mattress for the bunk bed, as this can greatly impact the comfort and quality of sleep for you or your guests.
- Make use of RV window covering ideas, such as curtains or blinds, to provide privacy and create a cozy sleeping space for each bunk bed.
With these additional tips in mind, you can create the perfect DIY bunk bed for your RV that not only saves space but also adds a personalized touch to your home away from home.